Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: Microphonic vs Tube Pin Contact posted by Jonesy on July 2, 2020 at 12:23:50:
Nothing to sorry for! Your "wordy" is a valuable knowledge to me (and I believe to others).
Taking in consideration what you wrote above, mine is definitely not microphonic. I would not dare to tap it when hot and powered on (I've heard that you can even damage the tube doing it to strong or to often) but it is not ringing from itself and outside vibration.
Moreover, I want to thank you all for insisting to check and clean pins because it seems that at least in my case that was it. Two attempts (with about 50 minutes cool down between these cycles) of powering the amp on yesterday and total silence from start! I hope it will stay like this.
What I did more (apart of cleaning) was also gently straighten out this bended pin visible on my picture (left side).
What you wrote about 30 minutes warm up and lot of "strange" noises in the time sounds also reasonable. I remember that sometimes (especially) with new production tubes my amp performs the very same way - despite what you do, you need to wait till everything is decently warm and steady. After that you have a clean sound for hours... I was just afraid that with this particular tube I've got a broken one...
Once again - thank you and regards!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Whistling Tube Question - erik 17:10:00 06/27/20 (21)
- An Update - erik 08:17:05 06/28/20 (4)
- Yup! That's a really microphonic tube that sings like that nt - Ralph 10:23:38 06/30/20 (3)
- RE: Yup! That's a really microphonic tube that sings like that nt - erik 11:22:20 06/30/20 (2)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - Jim McShane 17:25:28 06/27/20 (15)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - erik 17:44:31 06/27/20 (14)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - Jonesy 18:34:07 06/27/20 (13)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - bob_ 04:07:02 06/28/20 (12)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - Jonesy 10:14:12 06/28/20 (11)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - bob_ 11:10:49 06/28/20 (10)
- Nevr-Dull - Jonesy 11:54:43 06/28/20 (9)
- RE: Nevr-Dull - bob_ 12:01:16 06/29/20 (8)
- RE: Nevr-Dull - erik 11:38:02 06/30/20 (6)
- RE: Nevr-Dull - bob_ 12:40:33 07/01/20 (5)
- Microphonic vs Tube Pin Contact - Jonesy 12:23:50 07/02/20 (4)
- Pins and Sockets - Jonesy 15:19:49 06/29/20 (0)