Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: And... a PS to my post below... posted by DeKay on July 2, 2017 at 17:14:54:
I figured as much when inserting the JJs stopped the static sound through the headphones and what seemed like microphonics.
I just reversed the matched pairs, so the pair that was in the diver sockets are now in the gain sockets and vice versa. The preamp sounds fantastic. No static through the headphones and a wonderful, rich sound with strong bass.
I bought the tubes through my local dealer, who sourced them from Brett Jesse, and it's been just under 30 days since I bought them (but maybe more since my dealer did) so I'll call my dealer on Wednesday and see what he/Jesse can do regarding the bad tube.
Sounds great though. Now I have a better understanding of the limitations to the JJs. Though they have a lovely tubey sound in the Rogue, the highs are a tad bright and the bass a bit flabby. The Mullards sound more neutral from top to bottom. Less bright but more defined treble and more extended and defined bass. At least that's how I hear it.
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."
Edits: 07/02/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Follow-up on my matching tube post below - JoshT 16:02:34 06/30/17 (9)
- RE: Follow-up on my matching tube post below - ksk 07:42:23 07/01/17 (8)
- Thanks! - JoshT 12:33:31 07/01/17 (7)
- RE: Thanks! - Sondek 19:06:34 07/01/17 (1)
- The Mullards were in very snuggly, but . . . - JoshT 12:47:46 07/02/17 (0)
- If you are experiencing micro phonics with the 12au7(s) used in... - DeKay 13:36:26 07/01/17 (4)
- RE: If you are experiencing micro phonics with the 12au7(s) used in... - JoshT 12:49:23 07/02/17 (3)Follow Ups
- Yeah, it was as you said, a bad tube in the gain stage - JoshT 22:04:05 07/02/17 (0)