Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: RE: Need to know your equipment posted by Mechans on June 14, 2017 at 16:01:43:
You bring up some interesting points. To be sure. There are exceptions to the rule regarding my assessments of tubes. The same as the CJ Premier 11 sounded more like a SS amp, than it did a tube amp to some listeners. I have encountered one or two 6922 tubes that seemed a bit euphoric to me. But for the most part, 6922 is the nearest to SS, or as you say " transparent and correct "
Being a technician for years, and working with circuit boards. I can freely say, what employed caps, diodes, resistors, etc make a huge difference in audio, visual, and performance. The tube I used as a driver in one amp, may not produce the same desired affect in another amp. Yet the tube will still have most of it's " tonal signature " in either amp. The tube hasn't changed, the amp has. This was a tube assessment overall, not an equipment assessment.
As far as the 12A tube having the most protean character. I still think it is due to the different gains, and how the tube needed to be constructed to make that gain. Taking an audio visual technical approach. We had a saying " More gain equals more noise " The 12AX7 which is the highest gain of them all, tends to have more noise. There are exceptions. However the 12AT7 is by far the quietest ( noise wise ) of the 12A. For the most part the 12AT7 ( to my ear ) is still the smoothest sounding of the 12A in any application.
What materials that were available, and what application for the tube that was needed for could have determined what metal, and construction a company manufactured a tube back then. Perhaps that is the reason for a certain 12AX sounding sweeter than a 12AU. But for the most part 12AU is sweeter, yet smoother.
Who knows? Maybe if they manufactured a 6922, 6922A, and 6922BX, all with different gains. We would have more fun things to talk about.
I too have quite a tube collection. I decided to hold onto them, and then maybe donate them to some lucky soul at AA :)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - my tube comparisons - waterfall 19:15:58 06/12/17 (12)
- RE: my tube comparisons - waterfall 13:50:38 06/19/17 (0)
- RE: my tube comparisons - waterfall 05:27:13 06/14/17 (0)
- RE: my tube comparisons - DAK 16:15:50 06/13/17 (0)
- You've left out DHTs like 26, 01A, 10Y, 4P1L..... - andy evans 00:40:36 06/13/17 (0)
- Need to know your equipment - FenderLover 20:04:14 06/12/17 (7)
- RE: Need to know your equipment - waterfall 05:29:52 06/13/17 (1)
- RE: Need to know your equipment - Mechans 19:46:57 06/13/17 (0)
- RE: Need to know your equipment - waterfall 03:08:46 06/13/17 (4)Follow Ups
- RE: Need to know your equipment - waterfall 06:52:25 06/15/17 (0)