Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
Experimenting with different preamp tubes, and or input driver tubes. I have come to these conclusions.
12AT7: The most quiet of the common 12v. A little smoother tone than other common 12v. Less coloration than other 12v.
12AU7: Not as smooth, but smoother than the 12AX7. Sweeter than the 12AT7.
12AX7: The most gian, but not as smooth as the other 12v. Still sweeter than 6v tubes. In fact all the 12v are sweet compared to 6v. All 12v more colored than 6v.
6SN7 Can sound very much like a 12v. In fact I refer to it as a amped up 12AU7. Definitely colored compared to a 6922.
6922: Nearest to neutral sound. I refer to them as the " solid state of tubes " Can be analytical, and harsh sounding. Can be great if you purchase NOS, Telefunken, Amprex, Siemens. don't really care for any of the current manufactured 6922.
Of course all these observations dependent on gear involved.
Just my thoughts, observations-
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - my tube comparisons - waterfall 19:15:58 06/12/17 (13)
- RE: my tube comparisons - waterfall 13:50:38 06/19/17 (0)
- RE: my tube comparisons - waterfall 05:27:13 06/14/17 (0)
- RE: my tube comparisons - DAK 16:15:50 06/13/17 (0)
- You've left out DHTs like 26, 01A, 10Y, 4P1L..... - andy evans 00:40:36 06/13/17 (1)
- RE: You've left out DHTs like 26, 01A, 10Y, 4P1L..... - PakProtector 13:45:47 07/05/17 (0)
- Need to know your equipment - FenderLover 20:04:14 06/12/17 (7)
- RE: Need to know your equipment - waterfall 05:29:52 06/13/17 (1)
- RE: Need to know your equipment - Mechans 19:46:57 06/13/17 (0)
- RE: Need to know your equipment - waterfall 03:08:46 06/13/17 (4)