Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
It is mentioned many times the new Russian Tung Sol 6V6GT is as good or better than NOS tubes. At least in a single-ended amp that is not the case.
I compared the Tung Sol to a vintage Jan Hytron 6V6GT. The Russian 6V6GT is harsh and uneventful compared to the Hytron 6V6GT. The Hytron is crystal clear, lush and involving. Hell, I can even hear the difference in my Hammarlund SP-600 ham radio set.
Perhaps the Russian 6V6GT is better in a PP amp, it loses immensely in a SE amp with Hytron 6V6GT tubes. I suspect the same outcome in SE guitar amps too.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - New Russian Tung Sol 6V6GT best sound? NOT - sony6060 08:20:07 04/18/17 (9)
- RE: New Russian Tung Sol 6V6GT best sound? NOT - Jim McShane 10:02:43 04/18/17 (7)
- RE: New Russian Tung Sol 6V6GT best sound? NOT - sony6060 10:15:52 04/18/17 (6)
- RE: New Russian Tung Sol 6V6GT best sound? NOT - rmyauck 21:35:33 04/28/17 (0)
- Sylvania 6V6G - FenderLover 11:39:22 04/18/17 (4)
- So many good 6V6GT types are still available for SE use - FenderLover 08:38:05 04/18/17 (0)