Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: Read what? posted by Tre' on March 19, 2017 at 09:36:30:
Gain of a 6SN7 using a CCS is pretty much the mu of the tube (assuming it's not driving much load of course).
OTOH Gain of 6Sn7 with unbypassed cathode R of 1K and a low 11K plate resistor is only around 13db according to Spice compared to approx 20db bypassed. And, distortion is approx 10db less than using a 22K despite the lower plate R.
I'm not saying this is the way to go but pointing out that gain can be significantly reduced using tried and tested methods.
Personally I don't like using Rs or Cs in the cathode and prefer to lightly load the plate but many report they love the sound of an unbypassed cathode R. It is a valid (possible) option that just might meet the poster's needs and therefore worthy of putting forward.
From a technical standpoint the combination of a lower plate R, and unbypassed cathode R can significantly reduce gain without increasing distortion. Whether one likes the sound is another thing.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Changing the Gain - TomWh 07:08:49 03/16/17 (15)
- RE: Changing the Gain - Tre' 07:42:08 03/19/17 (0)
- RE: Changing the Gain - Naz 05:03:42 03/18/17 (8)
- RE: Changing the Gain - Victor Khomenko 09:55:53 03/18/17 (7)
- RE: Changing the Gain - Tre' 19:40:52 03/18/17 (6)
- RE: Changing the Gain - twystd 23:11:27 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: Changing the Gain - Eli Duttman 09:24:49 03/16/17 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: Read what? - Naz 04:56:54 03/21/17 (1)
- Agreed - Tre' 07:46:03 03/21/17 (0)