I ask because we often see speaker specs that show the frequency response and in the case below the "low frequency point".
For example, if the manufacturer doesn't specify the +/- 3dB for the speakers frequency range as shown below, do we assume he means +/- 3dB or is he possibly hiding something?
Same for the low frequency point shown below. Here it is spec'd as 32Hz -6dB. I assume this to mean the speaker will output to 32Hz but it will be 6dB down in signal strength from the overall frequency range. Is this an attempt by the manufacture to show that his speaker goes down to 32Hz albeit with 6dB less output?
--- --- ---
I just happened to see these specs for a pair of Focal Aria 936 K2 Limited Edition speakers:
Three-way Floorstanding Loudspeaker
The Aria 936 is a three-way loudspeaker featuring an elegant design and a small footprint. Very linear and with impressive dynamics, thanks to three woofers, it is naturally intended for listening in stereo for monitoring-type activities. This loudspeaker is also ideal for setting up a spectacular Home Cinema system.
The intention of the original Aria was a return to the very essence of acoustics for those who are passionate about music, and this delivers that message with even greater impact.
Type: Three-way bass-reflex floorstanding loudspeaker
Speaker drivers: 3 x 6.5" K2 woofer, 6.5" K2 Power midrange, 1" Al/Mg TNF inverted dome tweeter
Frequency response (+/- 3dB): 39 Hz - 28 kHz
Low frequency point (-6 dB): - 6 dB 32 Hz
Sensitivity: 92 dB
Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
Minimum impedance: 2.8 ohm
Crossover frequency: 260 Hz, 3100 Hz
Dimensions (HWD): 45-1/4x11-9/16x14-5/8" (1150x294x371 mm)
Weight: 64 lb
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - AbeCollins 15:45:17 03/02/21 (17)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - JURB 11:51:06 03/15/21 (0)
- The extraordinary thing about speaker spec's is.. - ppopp 05:10:22 03/15/21 (0)
- Read Dr Toole's work on speaker designs - 3db 13:45:04 03/06/21 (0)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - email@example.com 20:28:38 03/04/21 (3)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - Mushroom Soup 17:09:05 03/05/21 (2)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - firstname.lastname@example.org 20:02:26 03/05/21 (1)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - goldenthal 22:09:06 03/16/21 (0)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - Story 05:38:50 03/04/21 (0)
- Very helpful. Thanks everyone ! - AbeCollins 21:15:29 03/03/21 (0)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - Rod M 20:20:25 03/03/21 (0)
- Those FR specs are too room and placement dependent to be of much use - Dave_K 09:25:06 03/03/21 (0)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - fredtr 06:07:44 03/03/21 (0)
- RE: Are there established metrics for speaker specifications ? - 6bq5 22:05:41 03/02/21 (0)
- I mean, sort of, but loudspeakers have always kind of been the Wild West - mhardy6647 19:39:14 03/02/21 (2)
- ASR speaker reviews - Feanor 06:39:57 03/03/21 (1)
- +1 RE: ASR speaker reviews - LtMandella 10:30:47 03/26/21 (0)
- Focal has always published fairly honest specs - Brian H P 16:15:28 03/02/21 (0)