Home Speaker Asylum

General speaker questions for audio and home theater.

RE: Those not well done measurements !

I am unclear what you mean by doing rather than reviewing?

I think magazines do try in their own ways to verify things. SOme are better able to do it than others but Soundstage and Stereophile measure and Hi-Fi Choice does conduct blind level matched tests and have many listeners come through. Albeit inconsistently.

This industry isn't big enough to do it all properly like car crash tests from independent bodies.

Let's say for instance you have a level matched blind audition where all the people vote for a 10 watt tube amplifier against many SS amplifiers that all measure better (as has happened). Further the amp maker that won the test insists his speakers sound the best with this particular amplifier. Well that point can be conceded since all the blind listeners did choose that amplifier.

Then you flip over to the Harman speaker tester test where they test a bunch of speakers with...drum roll... a 500 watt SS amplifier with massive damping factor. Basically an amplifier that likely loses in the previous test - but for the speaker test it is a "fair" amplifier in the sense that it has enough power to drive ALL the speakers being tested.

They they conduct the tests. And choose some speaker as best. It seems to me there is a fairly easy to see problem with this if speaker C had it been connected to the amp in the previous blind session that was chosen as best sounding - may very well sound a lot better than when it is connected to a 500 watt SS amp that overdrives the speaker. UHF noted this decades back with a Bryston amplifier that they felt pinched their speakers as if over-controlling them.

At that time I had the amplifier on my horn speakers and felt the same thing. I don't have the technical knowledge to explain it but it's as if the bass was "overly tight and taught" It was certainly a lot different than the other 125 watt amp I was running. Back then I was an all SS is the same except for the numbers kind of guy. The Bryston is what got me interested in high end audio.

Personally, I'd like to see an all Linn system versus and all Rega system versus all Roksan at around the same money. The $5k challenge or something.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.