Home Speaker Asylum

General speaker questions for audio and home theater.

Many manufacturers cheat or lie about this, sad but true

Let me say as a loudspeaker engineer that efficiency, as called out by Richard Small in his groundbreaking thesis, is a reference FOR THE SPEAKER. Meaning NOT in a room. And not for the bass, by the way, it is a midband quantity.

"Room gain" and "pairs" and similar stuff is just nonsense added to make numbers look more impressive compared to companies that do things more ethically. Which even then due to different equipment and methodologies, may not agree completely, but at least not in such gross error like we see in the case of Klipsch and apparently Zu. Hmm, now I really want to see Stereophile measure some Klipsch!

Are speakers used in pairs in a room? Yes, so what? Sensitivity should be COMPARABLE and when you add random room factors it is not. There ARE standard conditions that can be measured: 2.83 volts at one meter, anechoically or quasi-anechoically (various systems can measure a speaker in a room and window out the reflections, and get a valid mid/upper frequency sensitivity spec.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.