Home Speaker Asylum

General speaker questions for audio and home theater.

RE: Zu Soul Supreme sensitivity

Dave_K

..........."International standard for measuring loudspeakers."

There is supposed to be an international standard, but not all loudspeaker manufacturers adhere to international standards for one reason or another, nor do all reviewers adhere to these standards. It appears to me that Atkinson doesn't test for sensitivity according to these international standards so isn't it true that only speakers measured with the same Atkinson method can be compared to each other?

"Measuring equipment is supposed to be professionally calibrated............"

But do we know if everyone using this equipment is making use of "professionally calibrated" measuring equipment and how is this standard enforced?

"Most loudspeaker manufacturers............."

Who are these manufacturers? And which manufacturers do not use these methods? Please be specific, after all you're the one who posted this claim!

And finally, why doesn't every component that measures the same sound the same? How many times do components that do not measure well get glowing reviews from professional reviewers? Could it be that measurements don't tell the real story? Could it be that some measuring methods are flawed and/or could the actual measuring equipment be defective or improperly calibrated? Or do the measurement gurus actually know what to measure and how to measure for it? Julian Hirsch comes immediately to mind.

I withhold judgement on every component until I've heard it in a "normal" listening environment. I can't seem to make myself listen to measurements. I listen to music, not measurements, and I know what sounds good (to me) and what doesn't. And some of it measures well, but some of it doesn't ;-)

Cheers,
SB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.