In Reply to: Your own ears are the best review of a speaker posted by airtime on May 5, 2017 at 09:53:47:
What if there are no stores in a reasonable range from you?
What if the stores don't have anything you like?
Going to a store to listen to speakers on unfamiliar electronics in an unfamiliar room isn't always always a guarantee of success.
What if the demo of good speakers sounds like dog doo?
For example, my wife and I auditioned some Golden Ear Triton 1s at a local store one day. Nice speakers. Crappy demo. They use Tidal in what what must have been a sub-optimal set up. Electronics were Classe'. It sounded horrible. Even my wife, who doesn't pay attention to audio quality commented on how bad it sounded. Flat, dull, with no soundstage worth mentioning. After 5-10 minutes, I convinced him to hook up a CD player and play some of my discs, despite the fact that he didn't understand why. Better, but the speakers were not set up properly. It was clear to me that the speakers were probably better than the demo showed. Bear in mind, this was not some pimpley kid in Best Buy, but an adult in a high end store. He actually thought the crappy sound was good. Did I buy them? No, though I could have lived with them. I didn't want to reward such a god-awful demo.
I ended up buying different speakers online.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Focal Aria 936 Speakers - couger4u 12:47:42 05/04/17 (11)
- RE: Focal Aria 936 Speakers - Mr Peabody 19:45:49 05/06/17 (1)
- Yamaha ns f901 or RBH SV6500R - tincup 08:03:18 05/09/17 (0)
- Your own ears are the best review of a speaker - airtime 09:53:47 05/05/17 (7)
- Also agree in principle... - Bry 08:45:28 05/09/17 (0)
- Auditioning speakers at your local audio salon is fine... - Mr. Dick Hertz 09:05:37 05/06/17 (0)
- I agree in principle, but... - Jack G 08:55:34 05/06/17 (3)
- RE: I agree in principle, but... - George S. Roland 10:40:58 05/06/17 (2)
- Please listen to this advice. - George S. Roland 10:37:21 05/05/17 (0)
- RE: Focal Aria 936 Speakers - G Squared 08:36:46 05/05/17 (0)