Thanks for the reminder about the heavy power demands EQ in the bass can make.
My work-in-progress - budget - system will use two biggish stereo power amps to drive two pairs (IE 4) of stereo subs in an arc under and to the side of QUAD 63s. The QUADs amp is filtered at 150Hz 1st order.)
The subs amps are filtered at 3rd order, to match. One amp is a 380 WPwpc RMS (mimimum) serviced Perraux 6000C, and t'other amp is a HK 870. Which has a 60 amp peak output capability, and 100WPC into 8 ohms. The Perreaux has gain controls and so do the two eq'rs.
Both amps will see about a 4 ohms load.
Each bass channel, L&R will be Eq'd using rebuilt 1/3rd octave Eqs. Why not DSP? I'm a pensioner. Maybe, one day!?
Remember that this is a distributed 'Storm' array ala Duke's proven ideas. I might NOT need much Eq for the room's peaks, but for dips? ...
BUT, the Eq to get down real low, mostly from the sealed boxes, could chew up quite a bit of power.
I will have to suck it and see.
I am going to obtain a length of those strong 'raised flat triangle section' plastic channels to run all the wires under!! and reduce trip hazards, for ME?!
I was going to use the Perreaux to drive the QUADs but I then lucked onto a Fostex 300 power amp (150wpc/8) which was blue-printed, and it is guaranteed to cope with 'stats.
Two of the subs are large DIY sealed & stuffed push-pull driver items (one with 10s 88db/w and one with 12s 90db/w) and will sit under the 63s. The other two will be EBShelf rb enclosures and will sit on the inside of each the Quads. Ports and drivers facing the floor via pucks / cones.
Two of the sealed boxes are built, but not stuffed, and one EBS box built and driver mounted. Once I am fit enough to lift big boxes I should have the remaining 3 boxes built and installed in a few months.
Finish on the subs? I hope to get the subs coated / painted to match the black mesh QUADs.
In the interim I do have 4 35-30Hz capable spkrs for interim duty, one pair of which are able to be stands for the QUADS. So I'll be doing a good bit of learning about Eq and power demands.
I will report back.
Maybe I'll need to find a second Perreaux 6OOOC! One per L & R bass channels but into two boxes per channel.
Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger
Edits: 05/04/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - EQ and subs? a continutaion from K-Bob's learning. - Timbo in Oz 00:27:08 05/04/17 (14)
- RE: EQ and subs? a continutaion from K-Bob's learning. - JimL 17:19:43 05/12/17 (1)
- Thanks I too would prefer to use parametric Eq, but the 1/3rd eq'rs were free - Timbo in Oz 00:21:45 05/13/17 (0)
- RE: EQ and subs? a continutaion from K-Bob's learning. - Presto 13:03:38 05/07/17 (6)
- The 10" drivers have an Fs of 30 hz, 8 ohm 90db. - Timbo in Oz 00:16:01 05/08/17 (1)
- RE: The 10" drivers have an Fs of 30 hz, 8 ohm 90db. - Presto 15:34:09 05/13/17 (0)
- Three 2.4kva circuits feed that room. - Timbo in Oz 23:04:42 05/07/17 (0)
- Thanks, similar thoughts to mine. - Timbo in Oz 15:42:31 05/07/17 (0)
- RE: EQ and subs? a continutaion from K-Bob's learning. - Kingshead 13:52:29 05/07/17 (1)
- Likley not available down here in Australia. - Timbo in Oz 23:26:07 05/07/17 (0)
- Bother, I meant SWARM, not storm. - Timbo in Oz 00:26:58 05/07/17 (2)
- RE: Bother, I meant SWARM, not storm. - Duke 00:18:35 05/10/17 (1)
- There are a few different possible permutaions and combinateions for phasing a stereo sub arc with a gap - Timbo in Oz 00:46:01 05/10/17 (0)
- Good luck! - E-Stat 06:09:34 05/04/17 (1)
- RE: Good luck! - Inmate51 08:38:02 05/04/17 (0)