Home Speaker Asylum

General speaker questions for audio and home theater.

RE: Very Bad purchase from upscale audio Acoustic Zen Adagio

I am the original owner of a pair of these speakers, same color. They've been my main speakers for 5 years replacing B&W 805's and I'm happy with them.I understand the customer's dissatisfaction but also understand how this [innocently] happened. The Adagio's are fine sounding speakers but c'mon, Acoustic Zen has never claimed to be a Scandinavian company like Dynaudio or to source Scandinavian or artisan built-in-house cabinets like Devore and they are priced accordingly. Try buying an unused pair of demo Devore Orangutan 0/93's for $2500! The Adagio's are built from rather inexpensive components including the Chinese-sourced boxes. Frankly, it always surprised me that Kevin and Galen Carrol ever carried these. Sure they look sharp from a distance but one peek inside the transmission line port shows crude joinery-at least by top Scandinavian standards. The same ribbon tweeter can be purchased from Dayton Audio for $50 and I bet the mid-woofers are sourced at maybe $100. Mr. Lee assembles these in a warehouse in California. The crossover is fairly simple/inexpensive too. So to get to my point, I bet Kevin never viewed the Adagio as anything other than a decent speaker for the price and a great speaker for the profit margin. So why do I own them? Well they are a huge bang for the buck speaker at $3,500 or even $3000-the price they were widely available at brand new back when I bought mine. Mr. Lee designed a fantastic loudspeaker given the size, weight, complexity (transmission line), and overall SQ. And they are tube friendly.
Mr. Deal has offered to take them back and if you were expecting perfect audio-jewelry at that price-point you should. But breaking news-you will need to settle for a much smaller speaker that likely will not go as deep or be as dynamic/big-sounding if you want artisinal boxes for this price. I have to wonder-did you even set these up with some time invested in ideal positioning, take a deep breath, and audition them?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.