In Reply to: Upgrade Speakers? posted by Fal on March 24, 2017 at 06:34:10:
Tekton is a good suggestion, read the reviews of the Pendragon or new Double Impact. A bit over the top but the reviewer did replace his reference Lawrence Cello's with the Double Impact, so he backed up his words.
JBL make current great models but most over your budget in the Synthesis series. The LS is in the budget but not sure if still offered. Although JBL have a decently high efficiency, it's been my experience you still need an amp with some current to make them sing, may not be the best for tube integrated. I'm referring to the Synthesis, no real experience with the vintage models. I drive my 4367's with a 300x2 Levinson.
Klipsch was having deals on the Heritage series. They would provide nice dynamics and easy enough to drive, the large drivers and horns should fill your space fine. I really had some fun using Klipsch back when I had some Conrad Johnson gear. Not the last word in detail, stock, but still a fun listen.
I haven't heard Unison but they are supposed to be good sounding. Depending on type of output tubes used the sound you are getting may just be on the polite side. If this is the case you made need to try swapping tubes or entertain an amp change down the road.
Any audio buds in your area willing to get together to swap some components in and out of the system to see what gets you closer to what you are looking for?
Another thought too, look at the Spacial Audio, under $3k and getting good reviews, you can also try them in home as with Tekton. I believe the Spacial getting the attention is the Turbo.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Upgrade Speakers? - Fal 06:34:10 03/24/17 (20)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Eldragon 12:54:28 04/02/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Mr Peabody 09:03:32 03/31/17 (2)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Fal 19:42:08 03/31/17 (1)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Tidycat1 20:42:46 04/01/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - HiOnFi 08:59:50 03/29/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? Don't! - Eldragon 15:11:12 03/26/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Mick Wolfe 08:31:04 03/26/17 (1)
- +1 for Tekton Design - SpotcheckBilly12345 09:40:15 03/26/17 (0)
- Upgrade Speakers? Or... - Jim Treanor 12:42:46 03/25/17 (1)
- +1 Treat the room if you haven't. - MannyE 12:58:49 03/25/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - firstname.lastname@example.org 06:31:34 03/25/17 (1)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Fal 12:32:47 03/25/17 (0)
- a sub - hifitommy 21:07:11 03/24/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - briggs 16:55:27 03/24/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - tube wrangler 12:20:24 03/24/17 (1)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Fal 15:33:36 03/24/17 (0)
- RE: Upgrade Speakers? - Ozzy 07:14:17 03/24/17 (3)