In Reply to: RE: KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? posted by Rad21 on March 29, 2017 at 07:33:52:
I listened to 1.7s next to LS50s last weekend. This was the maggies home turf, so huge Bryston monoblocks supplied the juice.
Accepting the fact that nothing will do certain things like Maggies can, the LS50s proved themselves worthy of the praise they receive. They disappear at least as well as maggies, are a little more dynamic through the midband and can image with pin point accuracy. The soundstage is not as as deep and wide as Maggies, but it is not far off. The ls50 is even more resolving than the 1.7s but you gotta be listening for it. Maggies win by a mile on scale, which to me is sorta crucial for realism. On rock, pop, and small scale jazz and vocals the ls50 are right there. Move to large scale music, especially orchestra and it is not even close to the same experience.
The Kefs are amazing, it is a great tweeter and a general balance that they just nailed. I really want to hear the new active versions.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? - Green Lantern 05:53:36 03/29/17 (10)
- RE: KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? - johnvb 19:35:57 03/30/17 (1)
- RE: KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? - Les Anderson 09:23:45 03/31/17 (0)
- RE: KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? - RGA 00:01:51 03/30/17 (2)
- RE: KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? - Green Lantern 04:16:55 03/30/17 (1)
- RE: KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? - RGA 15:54:50 03/30/17 (0)
- RE: KEF LS50s compared to Maggies? - Rad21 07:33:52 03/29/17 (4)