Upon my leaving Stereophile, Michael Lavorgna sent me one of the many many nice emails I received, closing with, if I ever wanted to guest-write for his computer-audio site, he would like that.
Took me a little time to come up with a "hook," but, there has been up since last week a nice little column--the writing style might be familiar to a few of you... .
The task I assigned myself was to persuade people to check out great pieces of music since 1950 (therefore, no Bartok Concerto for Orchesta) that were not Neo-Romantic or Neo-Anything (therefore, no Howard Hanson and no Morten Lauridsen), all of which had to have personal resonance for me--this was not a case of "eat your spinach, it is good for you" (much less, "Put on a sweater; I'm cold").
So, please check it out and please make any comments there as well as here.
Thanks to all,
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - John Marks recommends seven post-1950 compositions on Stereophile's "Audiostream" satellite site - John Marks 14:40:24 07/08/17 (29)
- "Put on a sweater; I'm cold" - Reminds me of a Benny Goodman story- - oldmkvi 08:30:17 07/09/17 (1)
- Another BG story - Mike K 06:40:06 07/10/17 (0)
- I'd say that's a pretty darned good list - Chris from Lafayette 16:32:35 07/08/17 (19)
- Them's Fighting' Words... - oldmkvi 08:33:54 07/09/17 (3)
- "Enjoy your lack of Stockhausen, while it lasts..." - Chris from Lafayette 10:03:10 07/09/17 (2)
- Wow! We agree on some things, though I'm not sure I'd put Takemitsu at the top, as much as I enjoy his music, - email@example.com 22:10:13 07/08/17 (0)
- Oh wait! Prokofiev's Seventh Symphony was completed in 1952! - Chris from Lafayette 16:37:37 07/08/17 (13)
- RE: Oh wait! Prokofiev's Seventh Symphony was completed in 1952! - Botanico92007 16:04:14 07/09/17 (3)
- Actually, I have the CD reissue of that Malko performance - Chris from Lafayette 00:49:18 07/10/17 (2)
- RE: Actually, I have the CD reissue of that Malko performance - Botanico92007 13:40:36 07/10/17 (1)
- Fantastic - I love your inclusion of those old pre-recorded tape box covers! [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 14:25:54 07/10/17 (0)
- Oh well, our harmony was nice while it lasted. I like the 7th, but a masterpiece? It makes me sad when I - firstname.lastname@example.org 22:11:31 07/08/17 (2)
- BTW, the Seventh Symphony was ballerina Galina Ulanova's favorite work by Prokofiev [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 00:09:43 07/09/17 (0)
- Then you haven't heard it with its happy ending! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 23:54:52 07/08/17 (0)
- Thanks for reminding me... - Jim Treanor 20:00:58 07/08/17 (3)
- What? You don't like the happy ending? - Chris from Lafayette 21:23:23 07/08/17 (2)
- OK, that's ONE post-1950 composition worth listening to... - Ivan303 17:03:54 07/08/17 (1)
- Sorry, missed the Copland in there... - Ivan303 17:06:28 07/08/17 (0)
- RE: John Marks recommends seven post-1950 compositions on Stereophile's "Audiostream" satellite site - Kal Rubinson 15:54:19 07/08/17 (2)
- Hi, Kal! I publicized BMOP's "Final Alice" Kickstarter on my blog... - John Marks 17:50:55 07/10/17 (1)
- Email sent. (NT) - Kal Rubinson 18:22:40 07/10/17 (0)
- Fun! But what about (Fill in the blank here)? I'll start: No Ligeti? - email@example.com 15:32:03 07/08/17 (3)
- I can name a few from my favorite post 1950 composer and one of my musical heros - Analog Scott 17:41:04 07/08/17 (1)
- Yep. Really glad you hipped me to his writing. nt - Rick W 11:46:16 07/09/17 (0)
- And we should never forget that Ligeti was one of us - an audiophile! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 16:55:20 07/08/17 (0)