On sale at HD for $13.95, includes Ballades. Great reviews; couldn't find any dissenting ones.
Youtube is set up to start right before my favorite stretch in all of Chopin. Cho's playing is pure, gorgeous and for the most part no affectations...it's just those slight hesitations before moving on. To be fair, pianists from Sokolov Pollini to Argerich can't seem to leave the simple melody alone either. Even Rubinstein plays with it a bit. Maybe it's me.
Youtube also offers Cho's PC 1 from the Warsaw competition. The pacing at the same moment is nigh-on perfect. Too bad this one's not available.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Cho's Chopin: most unobtrusive and delicate trills, but slight hesitations bug me - email@example.com 07:37:46 06/07/17 (14)
- So if you pan Cho's Chopin, it's a Chopin Cho Pan, right? Right? - oldmkvi 21:09:53 06/10/17 (3)
- Hahahahaha! I went for Bavouzet's Ravel instead, love his piano playing but the orchestra sounds so flat! - firstname.lastname@example.org 22:41:25 06/10/17 (2)
- LOL! That's a great recording - in multichannel! ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 19:28:28 06/13/17 (1)
- Well, in stereo, not so much. Felt the same way about their Bartok PC's and Prokofiev VC's - email@example.com 19:36:42 06/13/17 (0)
- RE: Cho's Chopin: most unobtrusive and delicate trills, but slight hesitations bug me - Todd Krieger 10:52:47 06/07/17 (4)
- Glad u agree, I'm pretty taken too, but there's just a very slight teasing/hesitation before downbeat of many - firstname.lastname@example.org 11:19:15 06/07/17 (3)
- ( Cho's Warsaw performance, same segment.) - email@example.com 07:43:03 06/07/17 (4)
- I'm still mad that Katie Liu didn't win the 2015 Competition. . . - Chris from Lafayette 09:13:19 06/07/17 (3)
- RE: I'm still mad that Katie Liu didn't win the 2015 Competition. . . - Todd Krieger 10:56:43 06/07/17 (2)
- We'll see. The pearly sound he projects is addictive. I'll be downloading the PC1, I just think he didn't - firstname.lastname@example.org 11:26:49 06/07/17 (1)
- RE: We'll see. The pearly sound he projects is addictive. I'll be downloading the PC1, I just think he didn't - Todd Krieger 10:49:43 06/08/17 (0)