Home Music Lane

It's all about the music, dude! Sit down, relax and listen to some tunes.

Going to pull the trigger on Rachmaninov's 2nd Trio with Kogan and Co; I'm assuming they know what they're doing, ha ha

During my vinyl treasure hunts I ran into a lot of Star Russian Trio teams performing everyone but the Russians, (Faure, Brahms etc), on Melodiya and Monitor. I look forward to hearing Svetlanov, Luzanov and Kogan play for one of their own. I'm assuming a home run here?

Just a very quick, informal rundown of recent downloads:

Litton's Prokofiev Suites, the Scythian and Oranges: Wonderful! Compared to the famous, and famously captured Dorati/LSO on Mercury, Litton's is just a touch more revealing, though some may say at the expense of explosiveness. Bass drum is a bit thuddy too, but still--both suites left me energized and smiling all the way through. Prokofiev's "night" piece in the Scythian is so imaginative and evocative!

Two "Ocean" pieces: Sibelius' Oceanides with Elder: Berglund's is my reference but Elder gets the job done with adequate atmosphere and weight. Unless you obsess over this piece I don't think you'll be disappointed. Same with Slatkin's Ravel Un Barque with the Lyon: the opening is just atmospheric enough, though Dutoit captures more of the breezy, blustery chill at the opening. The first (and best) climax is very impressive in Slatkin's hands. What remarkably descriptive moment in all of music. The rest is fine, perhaps outstaying its welcome, but that's Ravel's fault.

Shostakovich Cello Sonatas on Decca with Alisa Weilerstein: I'm a late-comer to these pieces. On Lp I know Rostropovich's with Ozawa (2nd) and Tortelier's with Ozawa. (1st) The multitudes of reviews suggest that everything finally came together for both Weilerstein and the recording team. As I said, I'm not too familiar with these works, but Weilerstein definitely digs into that catchy mixed-meter bit in the 1st Concerto's 1st movt with more energy and bit than Tortelier.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Going to pull the trigger on Rachmaninov's 2nd Trio with Kogan and Co; I'm assuming they know what they're doing, ha ha - jdaniel@jps.net 09:07:42 05/27/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.