Home Music Lane

It's all about the music, dude! Sit down, relax and listen to some tunes.

Well, not exactly

If you are going to just throw out a factoid, it's always best to cite your source. Your post appears to be taken directly from fandom's Pop Culture Wiki.

That page provides no evidence to support its claim.

According to USC, the object was a violin bow. Here is a link about that: Heifetz's good luck gift

But the story is that they met in secret with her husband, Simon, to plot this. Then they secretly buried the bow in wet concrete. And neither he nor she ever mentioned it subsequently.

Really? If the bow was inserted into wet concrete, as described, it seems like there would have been evidence. If the concrete was so wet that it was easy to accomplish this, it seems like it would have occurred when workmen were present. Yet nobody ever mentioned it?

Why do it in secret? Wouldn't they have called in some news reporter and photographer, or at least some students and faculty and school officials, to witness such a momentous event. After all, Heifetz was a huge star. Since he was teaching at USC, it seems they would have wanted a very public event to mark this monumental occasion.

I haven't read any biography of Heifetz. If there is any actual evidence that this actually occurred, it would be good to see it. Otherwise, I think it is just one of those many myths from the past of music.

"Life without music is a mistake" (Nietzsche)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Well, not exactly - Amphissa 11:55:01 04/20/17 (4)
    • Wet concrete - John Marks 06:32:25 04/21/17 (0)
    • Interesting - Newey 18:54:31 04/20/17 (2)
      • Huh? - Amphissa 11:23:26 04/21/17 (1)
        • RE: Huh? - Chris from Lafayette 11:38:49 04/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.