In Reply to: RE: "any chance of finding a newstand copy is zero"... posted by Ivan303 on April 17, 2017 at 06:19:13:
Yes, they still publish a paper issue. The editor of the magazine, Donald Vroon, is, shall we say, "old-school" and provides only a paper subscription. You can, however, as a subscriber, go to the website and download or view PDF files of recent issues. Right now, only the January/February and March/April issues are available free for subscribers.
On newsstand availability, Mr. Vroon writes on the website:
"ARG is no longer sold in most stores. A few independent stores still carry it, but distribution thru the large chains (like Barnes & Noble) has become too much a money-loser for us. Statistics show that the internet is not killing off magazines in general; more people are reading them than ever. But we hope you will subscribe. Subscribers are what keeps us going."
They do sell some back issues, and now it looks like you can buy PDFs of back issues, too. The paper issues are $3 - $7 depending on age, and the PDFs are $6. The availability of paper back issues is spotty. You can buy the one discussed in this thread as a PDF for $6.
I received the current issue late last week and haven't had time to check it out. Madeline's essay is a "Guest Editorial" starting page 52, part of the "Critical Convictions" segment of the magazine. This is where Mr. Vroon waxes poetic on many issues that will either entertain or enrage, depending on your outlook.
Mr. Vroon also reviews albums, and his reviews are known for being pithy to say the least. He, like Chris, is not a fan of HIP.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Madeline (Mrs. CfL) publishes or perishes again - this time to ARG - Chris from Lafayette 09:59:47 04/16/17 (25)
- RE: Madeline (Mrs. CfL) publishes or perishes again - this time to ARG - learsfool 08:23:04 04/18/17 (0)
- ARG? - PAR 02:22:33 04/17/17 (7)
- ARG is "American Record Guide" - pbarach 04:05:09 04/17/17 (6)
- RE: ARG is "American Record Guide" - PAR 05:05:01 04/17/17 (5)
- RE: "any chance of finding a newstand copy is zero"... - Ivan303 06:19:13 04/17/17 (4)
- Good letter.... - krisjan 17:49:55 04/16/17 (2)
- "Plus, recording engineers have figured out how to record the live session with high fidelity." - Timbo in Oz 22:26:21 04/18/17 (0)
- We have a couple of friends and acquaintances in the business. . . - Chris from Lafayette 20:59:54 04/16/17 (0)
- RE: Madeline (Mrs. CfL) publishes or perishes again - this time to ARG - firstname.lastname@example.org 12:46:42 04/16/17 (4)
- You're right - I did give up on ARG - Chris from Lafayette 16:23:11 04/16/17 (0)
- They've decided to add pictures to their reviews. (y) - Paul_A 15:27:52 04/16/17 (2)
- RE: They've decided to add pictures to their reviews. (y) - email@example.com 17:49:35 04/16/17 (0)
- Not yet - at least as of this latest issue! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 16:24:24 04/16/17 (0)
- RE: Madeline (Mrs. CfL) publishes or perishes again - this time to ARG - oldmkvi 11:25:57 04/16/17 (7)
- Why would you? - Rick W 14:21:09 04/16/17 (6)
- RE: Why would you? - oldmkvi 14:43:15 04/16/17 (5)
- Madeline requests that you read her essay before commenting - Chris from Lafayette 17:03:15 04/16/17 (4)
- Most of us can't read her interview. Can't imagine that she has anything new to say anyway. - Rick W 14:39:33 04/17/17 (0)
- This has been discussed here many times, - oldmkvi 21:18:10 04/16/17 (0)
- RE: Madeline requests that you read her essay before commenting - oldmkvi 18:40:31 04/16/17 (1)
- Since Recordings are expensive, - oldmkvi 18:53:00 04/16/17 (0)