Home General Asylum

General audio topics that don't fit into specific categories.

Fetcher Munson Curve vs. the notion of high-frequency extension

I've often considered the notion of high-frequency extension from two points of view, one being frequencies above say 10K not sounding rolled-off, the other being a not too subdued sense of treble energy as the point of issue to contend with. So where is the cut-off point, and who decides what is extended and what is too bright for their system, for their own particular listening taste, or as compensation for a listener's own hearing loss.

How much real acoustics reside above say 10K or so when listening to live music without sound reinforcement to boost treble information above and beyond what is naturally experienced within a live venue. Treble energy by nature is not aggressive, nor even assertive in its natural form to be considered as something to be enhanced or even missed while listening to a live orchestra, or a live performance by an amplified band without sound reinforcement with microphones placed against instruments or amplified cabinets providing what might be considered the equivalent to the Fetcher Munson Curve as a pre-treatment, not a post-production effect.

So what is your take on the notion of high frequency extension and the nature of natural acoustics without the aid of microphones nor equalization provided by unnatural electronic enhancements. Is it real, or is it Memorex? If it's real, throw that cassette tape out the window and don't call it high frequency extension by proxy.

Cheers, Duster

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Fetcher Munson Curve vs. the notion of high-frequency extension - Duster 05:25:18 03/22/21 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.