Home General Asylum

General audio topics that don't fit into specific categories.

I recently started a similar process

I signed up for free trial periods of Amazon Music Unlimited and their HD option. I'm using my laptop to stream the music. Probably the least expensive option is to use an RCA cable to connect from the PC headphone jack to a preamp or integrated amp. An RCA cable is the cable that usually comes with a CD player. You'll want a stereo to mono cable as one of the other people showed. That's enough to get you started.

As for what software to use to stream, I'm just using the Amazon Music app. I haven't looked into anything else to stream, other than YouTube. I'm one of those people who more or less stops looking when I find something I like, so if I like Amazon Music when the free trial is done I'll keep using it.

I already had an inexpensive DAC (digital to analog converter) that I am using in place of the one in the PC. The DAC takes the digital signal from the CD player or streaming music source and converts it to analog for the amplifier to use. I'm using a Schiit
Modi 3+. For $99 plus shipping and tax it is WAY better than what comes from my laptop. It connects to the PC using a USB cable. You connect from the DAC to your preamp or integrated amp using mono RCA cables.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I recently started a similar process - MaggiesAndCats 07:33:37 03/15/21 (1)
    • RE: Ditto - B. Scarpia 08:19:52 03/15/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.