Home General Asylum

General audio topics that don't fit into specific categories.

RE: It is true violence is over the top in general, and seems to sell films, and TV spots.

I was actually shocked sitting in a cab in Vegas listening to 3 consecutive ads about "ask your doctor is XYZ is right for you." It used to be that your doctor would prescribe you a drug that fit your ailment - now they drug companies sell direct and put it into your head you are sick.

Europe and the US always differed with television - In the US you could watch 80 people being machined gunned to death, decapitated, castrated and general gore - but man if you show a female nipple the network would get irate phone calls. In Europe it is somewhat the reverse.

But like most things - you have the option to change the channel. I think James Bond is largely cartoon violence. The violence in a Schindler's List or a Platoon is not.

I remember when the 1978 Romero film Dawn of the Dead was called the goriest film of all time - most people then found it sickening - now worse can be seen weekly in the Walking Dead.

But there is plenty of abject violence all around the world without a TV in sight and before TV or Movies or electricity was invented. Escapist entertainment does allow people to delve into the macabre without committing the macabre.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It is true violence is over the top in general, and seems to sell films, and TV spots. - RGA 18:03:28 07/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.