In Reply to: Here's some thoughts posted by Timbo in Oz on July 11, 2017 at 22:05:35:
about serious topics (how religion and politics ruins the world) is not allowed here. So we are stuck with pop culture and hobbies that promote it.
You can learn a lot from pop culture - Dickens and Shakespeare and Mozart were pop culture in their day. A lot of social satire exists in Pop Culture as well as other forms of commentary on the plight of man.
But once any topic goes down the politics or religious path it gets deleted. Which is fair enough this is an audio board. Although it strikes me that words are still just words and so personally I'd let it go. Lots of people disagree with my various stances and I get pounded more than most on most forums - but a hobby dedicated to music - much of which is devoted to social commentary (anti-war, religion, politics etc) often gets shut down.
I could spend a week on John Lennon's "Imagine."
James Bond movies I maintain are simply a form of escapism - But I do not believe they make people violent - people who are violent don't need an excuse. I'd like to say something about holy books at this point but I can't so I shan't. I would prefer to discuss the following "Christopher Hitchens 10 minutes" (typed into google 10:36) over James Bond. But there you are. PS: For Your Eyes Only
These kinds of movies are bubble gum or Romance novels - even literature professors will read Romance Novels - not because they're great literature but because they are diversion.
I think you could have a good discussion about what effect Bond has on the psyche of those watching - does it sexualize killing. Or is it about promoting imperialist propaganda that the west is the good guy and everyone else is evil. Be like Bond. Or is it pro military - James Bond the elite special forces who can take out the bad guy, sleep with the bad guy's woman, kill the bad guy, stop the evil plan, keep the bad guy's woman. Oh James - and Oh British awesomeness.
After awhile - amp X is better than amp Y is mind numbing.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Rank Your Top Five James Bond Themes (and Films and Bonds) - RGA 08:14:17 07/09/17 (43)
- Perhaps another fan on your level - Craiger56 20:36:55 07/12/17 (0)
- Hmmm - Timbo in Oz 02:05:55 07/11/17 (8)
- RE: Hmmm - RGA 19:44:00 07/11/17 (7)
- It is true violence is over the top in general, and seems to sell films, and TV spots. - 3+4=5 11:09:13 07/12/17 (1)
- RE: It is true violence is over the top in general, and seems to sell films, and TV spots. - RGA 18:03:28 07/12/17 (0)
- Here's some thoughts - Timbo in Oz 22:05:35 07/11/17 (4)
- RE: Rank Your Top Five James Bond Themes (and Films and Bonds) - BillH 05:04:41 07/10/17 (0)
- Live and let die (theme); that is all. -nt - Green Lantern 20:35:40 07/09/17 (3)
- With you, at least as far as the theme goes... - David S. 13:33:29 07/11/17 (2)
- RE: With you, at least as far as the theme goes... - RGA 19:28:29 07/11/17 (1)
- Will agree with you on the lyrics (and laziness,) but it is the transitions of the song I enjoy. (nt) - David S. 08:03:57 07/12/17 (0)
- DD's "A View To A Kill" - FenderLover 20:05:12 07/09/17 (6)
- "You Only Live Twice" - FenderLover 21:31:48 07/09/17 (5)
- This begs for another post, or two - - M3 lover 09:34:01 07/10/17 (3)
- Chase scene with the Toyota 2000GT - FenderLover 07:20:00 07/11/17 (2)
- Toyota 2000GT - so good that it outruns cars while the speedo shows 0MPH - Edp 11:54:09 07/12/17 (0)
- RE: Chase scene with the Toyota 2000GT - BigguyinATL 09:15:14 07/12/17 (0)
- RE: "You Only Live Twice" - firstname.lastname@example.org 23:14:34 07/09/17 (0)
- RE: Rank Your Top Five James Bond Themes (and Films and Bonds) - E-Stat 18:05:02 07/09/17 (5)
- RE: Rank Your Top Five James Bond Themes (and Films and Bonds) - RGA 18:38:21 07/09/17 (4)
- As it is tough to remember here are all the themes - RGA 17:49:42 07/09/17 (0)
- I like most of them .. - reelsmith. 16:56:01 07/09/17 (0)
- RE: Rank Your Top Five James Bond Themes (and Films and Bonds) - Todd Krieger 15:41:22 07/09/17 (0)
- Read the books in high school... - mkuller 14:36:00 07/09/17 (0)
- Only one I really like is "From Russia With Love" the rest are too silly. nt - 3+4=5 13:52:29 07/09/17 (4)
- You beat me to it... - Neil49 17:49:01 07/10/17 (1)
- Yep, soft violence, and very soft porn - Timbo in Oz 01:57:38 07/11/17 (0)
- Tatiana - E-Stat 17:50:58 07/09/17 (0)
- Yup... - DeKay 14:13:38 07/09/17 (0)
- You heard this you KNEW you were in for some fun... - musetap 10:57:56 07/09/17 (1)
- That said there is only one Bond... - musetap 11:15:12 07/09/17 (0)
- It's all comic-book nonsense - Mike K 08:23:10 07/09/17 (3)