In Reply to: Efficiency of main speakers with subwoofer posted by Tubenstein on July 4, 2017 at 10:16:35:
It depends on what you listen to and what kinds of music stresses your system now.
Perceived loudness is determined by the midrange frequencies. High-pass filtering the main speakers won't affect that, so your system won't play any louder, except maybe in the bass.
If bass heavy music (dubstep etc.) is what causes you to hit your system's limits, then you might be able to use a smaller amp if you high-pass the mains. But if you're more of a jazz or classical listener, or even mainstream pop & rock, I suspect you will still need the power you have now.
Edits: 07/04/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Efficiency of main speakers with subwoofer - Tubenstein 10:16:35 07/04/17 (7)
- Take A Load Off - Inmate51 14:48:43 07/04/17 (0)
- Not necessarily - Dave_K 13:52:36 07/04/17 (2)
- My vote for best answer - Charles Hansen 19:30:47 07/04/17 (1)
- RE: My vote for best answer - Awe-d-o-file 05:27:20 07/05/17 (0)
- Yes... - grantv 12:29:16 07/04/17 (2)