In Reply to: help! posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on May 26, 2017 at 05:53:34:
Used: Very musical sound can be had on the cheap that can double as a quasi home theater, it's been done for yrs, way before home theater was a term.
I find examples with pics can be very useful, so a recommendation I often give.
Amp: Kenwood KA-4006 $130
A sweet sounding amp that punches WAY above its weight, and it has a phono input if wanted later
If more power is desired then the Kenwood KA-7100 has about double the output for about $170, a more modern design (although still vintage), a less colored output that might work better with the Polk and Infinity speakers above, but the Klipsch would be happier with the smaller Kenny.
Speakers option A: Klipsch KG -3.2 $150
Sensitive speaker that doesn't need a ton of power to reach concert levels and no sub required, horn driven highs so not to everyone's taste.
Speakers option B: Polk Monitor 5's $150
All around fine speaker with outstanding bass output, dome midrange so smooth highs, the earlier models with the silk dome tweeter (black not silver) are the best.
Speakers option C: Infinity RS-325 $130
Awesome little speaker, good bass, clear crisp highs, probably the best all around of the three but for one caveat, foam woofer surrouds. Very inexpensive to repair if necessary, or look for some recently refoamed. The foam last about ten yrs so I would imagine any that aren't in obvious need of repair have been.
Digital front end: Sony DVP-NS900V $80 without remote
Great CD, SACD player that originally sold for $1000 and can now be had for silly money. It will also do DVD of course but no HDMI if your tv requires it. Sony makes very inexpensive Blu Ray players for video anyway.
DACs can be had for cheap from places like parts express allowing any source going into the tv to be heard through any vintage sound system, so don't let that worry you.
Have fun with your search.
Edits: 05/27/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - help! - email@example.com 05:53:34 05/26/17 (16)
- RE: help! - ornery 18:56:45 05/27/17 (0)
- RE: help! - Kingshead 08:16:08 05/27/17 (2)
- RE: help! - PAR 16:49:22 05/27/17 (1)
- Kingshead, thanks but if you - Kingshead 20:00:23 05/27/17 (0)
- And now for something completely different! - jedrider 08:13:53 05/27/17 (0)
- RE: help! - Inmate51 03:27:55 05/27/17 (0)
- RE: help! - Bill the K 22:01:56 05/26/17 (0)
- RE: help! - PAR 06:53:39 05/26/17 (8)
- RE: help! - firstname.lastname@example.org 07:06:52 05/26/17 (7)
- RE: help! - PAR 08:59:55 05/26/17 (6)
- RE: help! - email@example.com 12:08:20 05/26/17 (5)