In Reply to: RE: help! posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on May 26, 2017 at 12:08:20:
O.K. I think that we are at slightly cross purposes.
This forum is basically concerned with getting the best musical reproduction from electronic components. This is why I was asking things like " You say that you want a "sound system". Do you mean by that a system whose purpose is to play CDs, audio streams, maybe LPs? Or do you mean a sound system to play movie soundtracks coupled with a screen? Do you want to play multichannel audio recordings, if so from what source?"
You haven't given me an answer on that and all I know is that you are asking if A connects to B. But I don't know what your purpose is in doing this.
All I can say is that an HDMI ouput from a computer can connect to an HDMI input on an A/V receiver. HDMI is a digital interface. It has to be converted to analogue to provide a signal that can be amplified to drive a loudspeaker so that you can hear something. An A/V receiver accepts the HDMI input, converts it to analogue and amplifies the result. You connect the speakers to the receiver. Yes, the TV and HDMI ARC also connect to the receiver. The link is to a quick set up manual for a typical A/V receiver so you can see how it all goes together.
If you use powered speakers then the receiver has to have a "pre-out" facility or you need an A/V pre-amp/processor that does not have a power amp section. The latter would, I think, usually be a high end component probably outside of your budget, but you never know you may be lucky.
As you haven't told me if movies or music are the most important to you I cannot help you much further beyond saying that if music is the most important then this is not the optimal way to do it given a 500 pound budget.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - help! - email@example.com 05:53:34 05/26/17 (16)
- RE: help! - ornery 18:56:45 05/27/17 (0)
- RE: help! - Kingshead 08:16:08 05/27/17 (2)
- RE: help! - PAR 16:49:22 05/27/17 (1)
- Kingshead, thanks but if you - Kingshead 20:00:23 05/27/17 (0)
- And now for something completely different! - jedrider 08:13:53 05/27/17 (0)
- RE: help! - Inmate51 03:27:55 05/27/17 (0)
- RE: help! - Bill the K 22:01:56 05/26/17 (0)
- RE: help! - PAR 06:53:39 05/26/17 (8)
- RE: help! - firstname.lastname@example.org 07:06:52 05/26/17 (7)
- RE: help! - PAR 08:59:55 05/26/17 (6)
- RE: help! - email@example.com 12:08:20 05/26/17 (5)