In Reply to: I remember him moving to Florida posted by 1973shovel on April 8, 2017 at 14:37:52:
"Because I missed my window for having my Philips CDC-935 modified by him."
That window closed when he moved to Florida.... The only product he had from Florida was modifying the Little Bear (Chinese) phono stage. Which happens to be what I use for the two systems with a vinyl rig.
If you know someone who can "reverse engineer" the CDC-935 upgrades, you can possibly borrow one, and then have the person upgrade your unit. (I'd send a couple of "stock" 935s that I have. The stock units are for replacing the laser assembly, if one in a modified unit happens to die. These things won't last forever.)
Anybody who figures out how to replicate Don Allen's CDC-935 circuit upgrades could made a good chunk of change modifying these players..... I know quite a few people who would get an upgraded CDC-935 if such an option became available. (Part of the upgrade is mounting a 1/4 inch steel plate on the bottom of the player, to mimic the Marantz CC-65SE chassis.)
The closest thing to the CDC-935 DAC section is an outboard DAC made by Valve Amplification Company (VAC) called the DAC MkII. They're not easy to find, however. It uses the same DAC chip as the CDC-935 (Philips SAA7323) and has a tube output stage. It happens to be a Lampizator fave. The wacky thing is this chip was targeted for portable CD playback, not high-end gear. (My speculation is that it has low power consumption, hence a small "RFI footprint".) But in spite of that, it sounds more "right" to me than 99 percent of the DAC chips out there. (And more right than some discrete circuits I've heard as well.)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Full-Range System Up and Running......... - Todd Krieger 23:26:09 04/07/17 (12)
- Sears Roebuck Hemp - Newey 19:58:57 04/11/17 (0)
- RE: Full-Range System Up and Running......... - Picklesnapper 17:51:19 04/08/17 (1)
- RE: Full-Range System Up and Running......... - Todd Krieger 22:59:41 04/08/17 (0)
- Oh man, Don Allen died? - 1973shovel 04:48:58 04/08/17 (8)
- RE: Oh man, Don Allen died? - Todd Krieger 11:55:37 04/08/17 (7)
- RE: Oh man, Don Allen died? - double28 06:25:37 04/11/17 (1)
- RE: Oh man, Don Allen died? - Todd Krieger 18:01:34 04/11/17 (0)
- I remember him moving to Florida - 1973shovel 14:37:52 04/08/17 (4)