Home Digital Drive

Upsamplers, DACs, jitter, shakes and analogue withdrawals, this is it.

Economics lesson ?

I've been following pricing from various sources for the new Oppo UDP-205 disk player since it hit the market not long ago. It is available direct from Oppo for $1299 + shipping. Curiously, I've seen it advertised in several places including here on AA Trader, eBay, A'gon, HiFi Shark, etc for $1350 - $1600 as "mint used" or "open box". I'm not a dealer but have bought and sold a considerable amount of audio equipment over the last 30 years. In my view of the world, once the factory seal is broken, the item is used. Rule of thumb is used equipment sells for roughly 50% off list and open box/demo equipment from an authorized dealer is 20% - 30% or better off list (with full mfg warranty). Of course these are not universal truths - everything is negotiable based on factors such as rarity, high-demand, transferrable warranty, etc. And anyone is entitled to get whatever the market will pay for their merch, I get all that. But maybe someone can help me understand the logic: $1299 factory direct with 30 day return guarantee and 2 year mfg warranty vs. $1395 as a second buyer with no warranty. Why?

. . . in theory, practice and theory are the same; in practice, they are different . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Audio Hoarder  

Topic - Economics lesson ? - tlea 17:46:22 07/01/17 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.