In Reply to: Yes - that's a priority for me posted by Chris from Lafayette on May 18, 2017 at 09:08:10:
Exa is one of the very few (nearly the only?) DAC makers that provides an ASIO driver for Mac these days. 99% of others use the driver built into Mac OS (or Linux). Windows is natively UAC1 only and limited to 24/96 w/o the ASIO driver so DAC makers must provide one for Windows.
A question for Exa might be, will their DAC operate as a UAC2 device w/o the ASIO driver.... or will it revert to UAC1 and it's limitations.
Their own ASIO driver is supposedly one of their claims to fame, but if you can't get it to work the DAC will not function to it's full potential.
As for hum, more channels means more cables which means greater potential for ground loops and hum. Balanced interconnects can help in these situations even in non-studio environments like home audio. If you have any video gear in your setup like a cable tv or satellite box the potential for hum is even greater. If you have any video gear, try disconnecting it just for grins and see if the hum is minimized.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Exasound e38 DAC - I'm not a happy camper - Chris from Lafayette 17:45:10 05/17/17 (28)
- RE: Exasound e38 DAC - I'm not a happy camper - stereo5 09:14:14 05/21/17 (8)
- RE: Exasound e38 DAC - Kal Rubinson 10:14:49 05/21/17 (6)
- And SOME problems I mentioned were clearly on the HQ Player side, not the exaSound side [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 11:22:36 05/21/17 (5)
- HQPlayer - Kal Rubinson 12:31:10 05/21/17 (4)
- But Audirvana does not support ASIO - Chris from Lafayette 17:15:42 05/21/17 (3)
- That's unfortunate. (NT) - Kal Rubinson 18:50:03 05/21/17 (2)
- Really - I've used HQ Player for awhile and I'm fine with it [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 22:40:17 05/21/17 (1)
- Fine. - Kal Rubinson 05:42:23 05/22/17 (0)
- But see my post below - main problems are solved now [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 10:02:27 05/21/17 (0)
- OK! - Couple of breakthroughs in the last couple of days - Chris from Lafayette 17:13:45 05/20/17 (2)
- RE: OK! - Couple of breakthroughs in the last couple of days - oldmkvi 08:14:44 05/21/17 (0)
- Downloaded the Fischer/BFO Mahler 3 in DXD - no problems so far [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 20:20:45 05/20/17 (0)
- RE: Exasound e38 DAC - I'm not a happy camper - Todd Krieger 09:45:58 05/19/17 (3)
- Well, fortunately, they do have a 30-day money-back guarantee - Chris from Lafayette 12:15:45 05/19/17 (2)
- RE: Well, fortunately, they do have a 30-day money-back guarantee - Kal Rubinson 18:14:41 05/19/17 (1)
- So I'm told! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 06:17:30 05/20/17 (0)
- RE: Exasound e38 DAC - I'm not a happy camper - oldmkvi 07:10:04 05/19/17 (3)
- Yes - you have to choose it in two places. . . - Chris from Lafayette 08:40:58 05/19/17 (2)
- RE: Exasound e38 DAC - I'm not a happy camper - oldmkvi 19:28:07 05/17/17 (2)
- Thanks - will do! [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 20:35:24 05/17/17 (1)
- Yes. Contact exa. - Kal Rubinson 08:57:16 05/18/17 (0)
- RE: Exasound e38 DAC - I'm not a happy camper - ahendler 18:20:06 05/17/17 (4)
- Thanks, Alan - I understand about the cables - Chris from Lafayette 20:36:00 05/17/17 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: Yes - that's a priority for me - AbeCollins 16:10:25 05/18/17 (0)