In Reply to: RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on February 28, 2017 at 04:09:38:
" Can you suggest what may replace streaming services? "
My concrn is specifically with hi-rez streaming services not with the overall concept.
Basically 70% of hi-rez streaming services' income is paid out to rights owners as royalties. As hi-rez services are priced at a premium rate compared to lossy streaming services the market interest for hi-rez seems limited as for most listeners cheaper alternatives are available (search online to see the number of subscribers Spotify has compared to Tidal). Thus the residual income is not enough to adequately support the service.
Even where subscriber numbers are high, such as with Spotify, they are still insufficient for them to turn a profit or even to break even.
If income from subscriptions is insufficient, then other revenue streams must be available to the ervice. Downloads will not suffice as the streams are directly substiutional. So that leaves streaming services who can offer a music service as only a part of their total commercial strategy. Step forward; Apple, Google and Amazon. They have the financial muscle to run the services and are probably in a position to get better royalty deals than the small fry.
Of course the difficulty for audiophiles is that none of the big streaming serices appear to be in the slightest bit interested in non-lossy delivery platforms.
So, in brief, hi-rez streaming services will ultimately give way to lossy services from a limited number of suppliers, none of whom will have their music services as their sole or main business interest.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Tidal on Bluesound - email@example.com 05:11:03 02/27/17 (18)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - PAR 06:14:57 02/27/17 (17)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - firstname.lastname@example.org 10:34:43 02/27/17 (8)
- I control both TIDAL and QOBUZ with my SONOS syste.... - Ivan303 19:15:58 02/27/17 (0)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - ahendler 11:30:31 02/27/17 (6)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - email@example.com 12:01:13 02/27/17 (5)
- What PAR said.... - Ivan303 07:18:32 02/27/17 (7)
- RE: What PAR said.... - PAR 08:46:16 02/27/17 (6)
- It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - Ivan303 19:11:49 02/27/17 (5)
- RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - PAR 02:10:33 02/28/17 (4)