In Reply to: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... posted by Ivan303 on February 27, 2017 at 19:11:49:
Although I am sure that $$$ are of prime concern to Qobuz the streaming restrictions are placed there by the record companies. I just checked Qobuz on some Channel Classics tracks and when selected a blue window pops up saying " The owners of the rights in this recording have not made it available for streaming. You may buy it".
When I say record companies it is also possible that they themselves are restricted by the artists or other rights owners.
If Tidal have it for streaming then that therefore indicates that they simply have different licensing arrngments with the record company probably due to the slightly different business model.
This does indicate a problem with using streamng services as complete substitutes for other sources. Different business arrangements, temporary marketing ploys, artist exclusive deals etc. means that to get everything (or thereabouts) will always require multiple subscriptions.
The other hurdle is that of sustainability. I have written many times that I do not believe that hi-rez streaming services have a long term future (hopefully I will be wrong). A view recently supported by Klaus Heymann ( Naxos) when he closed his streaming service. This thought plus the ever changing relationships between given labels and the services means that I still buy discs and downloads of repertoire important to me so as to guarantee my freedom to hear it in the future (I hope).
Edits: 02/28/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Tidal on Bluesound - firstname.lastname@example.org 05:11:03 02/27/17 (18)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - PAR 06:14:57 02/27/17 (17)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - email@example.com 10:34:43 02/27/17 (8)
- I control both TIDAL and QOBUZ with my SONOS syste.... - Ivan303 19:15:58 02/27/17 (0)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - ahendler 11:30:31 02/27/17 (6)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - firstname.lastname@example.org 12:01:13 02/27/17 (5)
- What PAR said.... - Ivan303 07:18:32 02/27/17 (7)
- RE: What PAR said.... - PAR 08:46:16 02/27/17 (6)
- It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - Ivan303 19:11:49 02/27/17 (5)
- RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - PAR 02:10:33 02/28/17 (4)Follow Ups
- RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - PAR 02:10:33 02/28/17 (4)