Home Cable Asylum

Interconnects, speaker wire, power cords. Ask the Cable Guys.

RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp

Well I went to the Nordost event. It was on a all Simaudio system with speakers with a very close sound signature to mine. When I got there they were testing digital cables.They tested out 3 different cables out. Neither me or my GF could hear a difference. But when he went on to Interconnects, started off with really cheap radio shack type ones. Sounded pretty bad. I was taking notes the entire time, making sure it was the same track on the same source and at the same volume. He installed the purple flare and I could actually hear a massive difference. Just less harsh and smoother to me.Then the Red dawn, not the night and day difference from the cheapie cable but a slight improvement to me. Next was the Frey 2 cables. Now that was way more of a difference then the purple to the red just enjoyed it a little bit more.After that the Valhalla it was decent but to me I couldn't hear all that much difference from the Frey maybe a lil bit faster yet smooth. Ended with the Odin... people almost freaked out but I looked at my gf and we couldn't tell it from the Valhalla. Didn't sound bad just not different.
Probably don't know what to look for at that level of cable. I just go by emotional response.

All that to say, I ended up ordering a pair of XLR Heimdall 2 interconnects. The demo had a deal on all Nordost cables so I got a 1 meter pair for 600$ USD. It got me close to the sound of the Frey for almost half the price. Glad I can't hear the difference up the line much. I got to hold a power cord that goes for $30,000 :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.