In Reply to: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp posted by Industrial on April 29, 2017 at 08:11:33:
I only have scant experience with MacIntosh gear, so I am not going to comment on it.
However, I have lived with myriad Simaudio products, since the early 2000s. We have used them with a wide variety of cables, from throwaway patchcords, to the car-priced looms from the likes of MIT, Nordost, and Tara Labs.
The usual cable advice applies:
a.) Before you make ANY cable changes, you absolutely MUST treat your existing cables on a cable burn-in device, such as the audiodharma Cable Cooker (pictured above, treating a throwaway powercord) we have been using since 2003.
b.) You must understand what a cable does and does not do.
c.) If your sources do not do X, Y, and Z, no cable can magically make X, Y, and Z appear.
d.) The very first interconnects we used on our Cable Cooker were at least a dozen various RCA Kimber PBJs. As above in (a.), you MUST get the PBJ on a cable burn-in device.
e.) Balanced XLR is not necessarily better (or worse) than the Simaudio 740p's RCA operation. You will need to compare a Cooked RCA PBJ versus a Cooked XLR PBJ.
f.) If you do want to explore other cables, try before you buy. If your local dealers won't do that for you, expand your network of friends, and borrow from them. And again, (a.) utilize a cable burn-in device.
Go to my homepage, and see all my reviews of Simaudio's 820S, 750D, and Mind 180. These were used with a wide variety of powercords, interconnects, and fuses. You can take all of this experience and information, and extrapolate how they'd work (or not work) for you.
-Lummy The Loch Monster
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - Industrial 08:11:33 04/29/17 (20)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - Industrial 10:27:00 05/07/17 (1)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - sev1 08:37:39 05/08/17 (0)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - SgreenP@MSN.com 14:59:12 05/02/17 (0)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - sev1 10:47:55 05/01/17 (4)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - Industrial 13:30:58 05/01/17 (3)
- With The SImaudio 740p? - Luminator 12:51:28 04/29/17 (2)
- RE: With The SImaudio 740p? - Industrial 13:48:01 04/29/17 (1)
- You'll Have To Scroll Through My Homepage - Luminator 14:00:51 04/29/17 (0)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - Duster 11:02:18 04/29/17 (8)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - Industrial 12:22:15 04/29/17 (7)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - Duster 13:13:30 04/29/17 (6)
- Balanced Kimber PBJ - Luminator 14:10:25 04/29/17 (1)
- RE: Balanced Kimber PBJ - Duster 17:00:19 04/29/17 (0)
- RE: Help me pick XLR from Pre to Amp - Industrial 13:44:26 04/29/17 (3)