Home Cable Asylum

Interconnects, speaker wire, power cords. Ask the Cable Guys.

Addendum: 4N Pure Silver Dead Soft Wire Project Report

Just an additional note about the project. One of my favorite 75 Ohm S/PDIF digital coaxial cables is the Oyaide FTVS-510 (DR-510) featuring a large 18 AWG solid core silver center conductor (equivalent to RG6 coaxial). The cable is dual shielded along with a carbon loaded layer for energy dissipation purposes. The cable being a coaxial design requires a braided shield which also serves as the return conductor.

Oyaide also offers the FTVS-910 bulk AES/EBU balanced digital cable which is essentially the same design as the FTVS-510 but it features an 18 AWG twisted pair rather than a single center conductor, and the shielding is intended for XLR ground rather than also serving as the negative return conductor. While wanting to try the FTVS-910 for a DIY AES/EBU balanced digital cable build, the lowest price found for an experiment was $170 per 3 foot length, and the FTVS-910 is a shielded cable of which I consider unnecessary for a 0.5 meter length DIY home audio AES/EBU digital cable build. So the alternative option was to hand-build an 18 AWG solid core silver unshielded twisted pair cable like my 7 other DIY AES/EBU digital cable builds that implement unshielded solid core copper conductors for the purpose.

The ultimate DIY material for my purpose would have been VH Audio's 18 AWG OCC soild core silver with AirLok dielectric hookup wire, but at just under $100 for a 4 foot length in order to build a 0.5 meter cable, it is a bit too much to consider for an experiment such as this, at this time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Addendum: 4N Pure Silver Dead Soft Wire Project Report - Duster 12:32:20 04/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.