Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Sold a lot of these things....

I liked the 2230 series most. The later ones 2252 were not as well engineered and followed many other vendors like Sony and JVC in going to lower discrete parts counts and more ICs which is what really started doing them in, sonically, although output power levels rose. For an integrated amp, I always liked the 1060 (30W/side). Nice panel layout, well engineered and simply laid out inside. Easy to work on, too. Watch out for the power recitifiers, though. They were mounted upside down on a small board underneath the chassis and they used to cook the boards. Not a major problem to re-jigger, though. I wonder what changes some of the new diodes might make....

Warning: Stay away from the Quad stuff. We had many returned because the amps became unstable when they went into clipping running in 2 channel modes. This was because the bridging mechanism was that good and they didn't like wildly fluctuating speaker loads. Still all of them were pretty to look at in a dark room - like the old Mac stuff.

The earlier models in production as the Marantz name was sold to Superscope and production moved from NY to LA are really nice. I know of a local stereo boneyard that has a couple of the preamp/tuners and a Model 24(?) tuner only in their stacks. Email if you're interested....

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Sold a lot of these things.... - David 23:15:58 04/13/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.