Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

****My Comments****

I am very much a Sansui enthusiast and I would not recommend to Craig that he give up the G-7000 BEFORE he gets the Kenwood. The best thing to do is try them both in the same room connected to your other hi fi components and compare- if you find that you really do prefer the Kenwood- then by all means go with that one. Otherwise, you could very well be sorry that you gave up the Sansui. I have not owned any Kenwood models myself but I do know of some online friends over at the Site audioutopia.com that very much like the brand and have some receivers made by them. I am not familiar with the Kenwood you mentioned -is it an early 70's model or a later 80's or 90's model??- that info would be helpful to know in order to make a comparsion with the G-7000. I can say that in taking a quick glimpse thru my hi fi mag backissues and buying guides, the Kenwood models have rated very highly. The models I am referring to are the KR series. In fact, I was looking at the review of the KR-9600 in March 1977 issue of Stereo Review and it is a top-notch receiver. On the other hand, there is no doubt when it comes to Receivers, Amps, amd Tuners, Sansui Does Rule, so to speak:) Especially a G Series model- you have noticed it does say PURE POWER on the front display, yes?:) I can assure you that is no lie. I have some G models myself such as the G-7700 & G-5500 and they perform flawlessly. In a way I am more impressed with the G-5500 because it is "only" 1/2 the wattage of the G-7700 (60W)- I expect the G-7700 to be a "kick-ass" Receiver, but the G-5500 can do its thing effortlessly also. I also wanted to mention: I have a Sansui 3000A as well- the rms 8 ohm wattage is actually 48 Watts (not 22). And finally: I have a pair of Infinity Renaissance 90 Speakers- please go over to www.audioreview.com and read the Owner Reviews (From Homepage: Product Reviews, Main Speakers, I for Infinity, scroll down to Ren 90's). You can also read reviews on the similar European model- Kappa 90. The Ren 90's are SUPERB Speakers- it is amazing how they came and went in 1992-1994 and they are not that well-known. If you read the comments, notice its reputation for enormous power requirements as well as being a tough, low impedance load. Well, I do have a new Odyssey Stratos amp (www.odysseyaudio.com) but I can tell you I have tried all of my vintage receivers thru the Ren 90's- including a 60 Watt Sansui 7070 I have- and I have yet to encounter any problems! Everything works just Fine. Pioneer also made great stuff- I have an SX-980, and 780 too- very nice. Hope this info will be useful to those reading- Regards, B/F.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • ****My Comments**** - BeatleFred 16:48:25 01/13/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.