Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Did Bozak made their own electronics too??

I had to smile when I read your post, Doug, it brought back some long-forgotten memories!
I did own a Bozak preamp some 15 years ago or so, a big honkin' thing with sliders & stuff on the front panel.
It sure was complicated, but it worked flawlessly and sounded alot better than I thought it had a right to. I was and am into High-End valve gear, and whilst I wasn't so impressed with that Bozak to stick into my main system, I still took guilty pleasure listening to solid-state Bozak sound in a system I set up for a friend with the Bozak (we did use a tube amp though, the Bozak had a warm tone & was quite clean & very smooth, too).
The preamp was very clearly NOT Japanese, and didn't have that look to it that sub-contracted pieces do (Philips, Aragon, NYAL). You took the lid off, and you saw very iconoclastic build practices done to a very, very high standard. Definitely old-school American. Very McIntosh, in fact! It looked like they made it themselves, just because they could, just because they felt like it. It didn't have a "marketed" quality about it, I don't even ever remember seeing advertising for them! And Bozak is one of those almost-forgotten Hi-Fi names, but yet manages to retain a superb pedigree. These modern transistorized electronics (I never heard or saw them make tube gear...) don't hurt that pedigree one bit. Too bad they didn't do better with them. I think they deserved to as well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.