Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Do those Servolinears have any relation to Rectilinears?

Hello Doug,

No relation.
My dad had the Rectilinears Xs (10s) which he purchased in about 1968. Very inefficient, moderate sized 3 way, with very good bass for a box its size, OK highs, and colored mids. However, for the time, it was a good speaker...and the second really "hi fi" quality speaker I had heard.

Servolinear speakers were manufactured in Modesto, CA from about 1974 through 1980. We sold them at a stereo store I worked at in the Bay Area -- Pud's. We would compare them with JBL, Advent, AR, Epos, etc. and they blew everthing away that was even near their price range.

The Servolinear III was the first model -- $300 a pair. (Later they made some bigger, more expensive models -- the VI sounded very good -- but the III was the best value.) The "III" was a small, floor standing, 3-way pyramid shaped speaker -- perhaps 24" tall and 12" square at the base. The 10" woofer was servo-controlled. The CTS midrange ran full range. The tweeter was a piezio-(sp?)-electric unit that was pointed "up" and that had a "lens" around it (the "top" of the pyramid shape). The lens "disbursed" the high frequencies into a non-beaming pattern. I don't think that the speaker used a crossover -- or if it did, it was basically a cap on the tweeter. The "servo-mechanism" controlled the woofer and keep it from running too high up into the mids. (How that was done was never explained to me -- can't remember if it was proprietary or if I just didn't care...)

The sound was very open and natural, with good dynamics when driven by decent solid state receivers (I used the Pioneer SX828) or amps (later used the Son of Ampzilla). The sound was also balanced and musical. The piezio-electric tweeter had a slight "hiss" that was noticable when there was no signal -- but interestingly just "went away" when playing music. When playing music, the highs were very, very good.

I lived with those speakers for several years -- very happily. I would love to hear a pair today. Alas...

WTS

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Do those Servolinears have any relation to Rectilinears? - Willie the Squid 13:44:21 03/27/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.