Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Old Tuners- Favorites ?/ Questions

"Also I am concerned about channel drift with these old tuners, is that unfounded ? "

Yes. Most, even the 50's tube units, have AFC, or automatic frequency control. It locks the tuner to the center of the channel.

"How do they stack-up against modern tuners (besides sound)"
Which modern tuners? Mega buck audiophile ones, or ones built in HT receivers? the first are pretty good, the latter are pretty poor in comparison.

Tube units sound the best, and need some maintenance. The better tube units, when properly aligned, have amazing sensitivity as well. The one area they may fall down in is selectivity. By that I mean, for example - a strong station at 97.5 and your favorite one, a weak station is at 97.7. It takes a great tuner to listen noise free to the weak station. If you have a direction antenna with rotating rotor you can work around the issue more easily than off a omni-dipole. The later units listed below usually had selectable IF filter bandwith for this reason, and handle this situation more easily than most tube units. See the VTV Tuner article for more on tube tuners.
I use a tuner two ways - background music, and for listening at decent volume. I have some cheap digital readout tuners for background. For listening, the tube units excel. The '75-'80 top shelf japanese units are really the best all around for both, but don't have the tube sound. Examples are the Kenwood KT8300, Pioneer TX9500II/TX9800, Sansui TU9900.
For tube tuners, beyond the Marantz and Mcintosh stuff, most the Fisher tube units were great, as well as the Sherwoods and Scotts.
If you have 3 or 4 really quality classical and jazz stations, it is worth the investment to buy a few units and play. I'm hooked.
Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Old Tuners- Favorites ?/ Questions - BFitz 10:57:20 03/19/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.