Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Question about speaker impedance

If the original amp is a tube amp, the source impedance will be much higher than in an SS amp. That has the effect of boosting the bass output in the range around the speaker's bass resonance. To get some of that bass back when using a direct coupled solid state amp, you just need to wire a resistor in series with the speaker. Try a 10 watt, 1 ohm, non-inductive resistor to start.

You can find those resistors at Parts Express, and they are inexpensive and I'd recommend buying a 1 and a 2 ohm as 1 ohm in series may not be enough.

The first place I can recall seeing this fix was in an article in Electronics World by Edgar Vilchur in response to complaints from AR3 owners who noticed a loss of bass punch when switching from tubes to a SS amp.

My Dad loved music; but they didn't have a record player, so for Christmas that year I bought them a Webcor in a leather wrapped portable case. It had a single 8" speaker, a 5 watt tube amp, and a Webcor changer with a Sonotone ceramic cartridge. It looked wonderful and sounded pretty good. That was around 1958 or '59.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Question about speaker impedance - Bold Eagle 14:28:18 06/29/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.