Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: $350-500 on receiver + speakers

First, 2 places to buy used that I can recommend. Audio Classics (www.audioclassics.com) and Hawthorne Stereo(www.hawthornestereo.com).
My son is using an Onkyo TX905 (60 w/ch) that I bought new some years ago. Excellent sound. Hawthorne has one for $189. More recently I bought a later model Onkyo for around $200. It wasn't for my "good" system; but I was surprised by how good it sounded. 45 W/ch with good dynamic headroom and a quite decent phono section. My grandson now has that. A lot of newer receivers have dropped the phono section. There was some great stuff in the past; but after 20 years or so, the reliability drops off as the caps age. What am I comparing those receivers to? My "good" system uses an Adcom GTP-400 tuner preamp, an Adcom GFA-545 II power amp, a Rotel RCD-971 CD player, and a much modified Dual 1229. My speakers are modified New Advents.

For speakers, I assume you're looking for smaller size. My first choice would be an ADS model. After that, look for something you know about. If you can get a receiver for under $200, that leaves $300 for speakers, some decent 12 gauge, and some low capacitance interconnects. You might find some new ELAC or PSB models for that much.

With care, I think you can have a very musical system for your budget.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: $350-500 on receiver + speakers - Bold Eagle 10:24:42 06/02/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.