Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Zobel network calculations

Follow-up to the thread below, "Fisher 500C Maximum frequency reproduced."
Calculating the inherent inductance of a speaker is not a simple thing. As the link to white paper states.

An example I could find was one used on solid-state 100watt Vox amps:

-----

"Stability

The existing Vox amplifier designs are sensitive to reactive loading. Modern amplifiers do two things to help with reactive loading. First, they use a series inductor to decouple the speakers and speaker cable at higher frequencies. Usually this is one or two layers of #18 wire wound on the body of a 10 ohm (approx. 6uH), 2W resistor. Second, there is usually a "Zobel" network there.

A Zobel network is usually a 0.1 uF cap in series with a 4.7 to 10 ohm resistor to ground. This helps stabilize the amp loading. Both help with stability - modern amps usually have both. These things are so cheap, it's hard to understand why they're not already in there. I guess that the advantages of these simple networks were just not known to the designers of the amps at the time - but we know, and we can add them easily."

Edits: 12/12/17 12/12/17 12/12/17 12/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Zobel network calculations - FenderLover 07:45:51 12/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.