Vintage Asylum

My MX110x refurb, before and after

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Vintage Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Well, I don't pretend to be Mike etc. but I'm pretty happy with my work. This is a MX110x, it was a short lived version between the M and the V. It has the rotary balance control like the V but different end caps. The main electronic difference is the V changed a 6AB4 to a 6U10 to get two more triodes. They were used as cathode followers in the line stage after the input selector before the Tape Outs and Filter/Tone Controls. I think that a low impedance tape deck plugged into tape outs probably was difficult for the phono pre-amp (12ax7) to drive but that's just a guess.
I've rebuilt the power supply with uF diodes, and F&T filter caps that have been upsized. I mainly left the Mc brown coupling caps in place but did change out several electrolytic for 716P orange drops. I'm biased but I think it sounds pretty good. :)
Oh, you may have noticed the wood end caps. The originals were held together by tape and I managed to bend one of also. I know Audio Classics will sell a new pair for a $100 but I routed out some scrap hardwood I had and think they look ok given my naked (no case) unit.

Follow Ups: