Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Each sub's line inputs and outputs are configured for use with a L & R pair.

Before I bought them I found a manual on line, and then thought through all the technical issues.

Each sub has L&R outputs with fixed HP filters -10db at 65 Hz, and in front of the mono power amp is a band-pass filter. All this to match them to Fostex powered satellites and I assume, to avoid cone bounce below 20Hz in the sub. The Sub has its own volume control.

So with systems using passive spkrs I need to use them with L&R speakers whose unfiltered output goes to or below 65 Hz.

In the case of the Yamaha MS20S their AST alignment gets them to 7OHz, and that's okay, as they have a tone control. But there isn't room in the study for two of the subs to sit below & between the satellites.

For the bedroom system I'd need to adapt the sub's filters, if that's possible, to the B&W DM100 bedroom spkr's natural roll-off. OR get speakers for it that get down to 65 hz!

And, in any case I'll need a 'pre-out & amp-in' block of RCA sockets on the back of the rcvr! I've wanted to recap and service it for a while, anyway.

Time will tell. A spkr swap of a pr of Jamo CBR 930s (~30Hz) for AR7s which also go low enough (~ 35Hz.) OR put the Jamo's in the bedroom and give the DM100s to one of our sons!

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 04/09/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.