Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Repair of oil cloth surround on alnico woofer

Sanman

Just to add to what the other posters have said, the bottom series of numbers appear to be the EIA manufacturers code and 575 would indicate Hepner, with the 3 being the last digit of the year made (which could mean anything from 1943 to 1973), with the 44 being the 44th week of that year. It's hard to see from the pic but if Eli is right and there is some rust on the frame, then it would be wise to follow his suggestion and use a rust reformer. You can buy specialty glues for gluing speaker re-cones and surrounds together, but I have had good luck re-attaching a loose surround with a home made version made from DAP silicone rubber thinned out to brushable consistency with Xylene, or mineral spirits if that's what the instructions call for. Some "clothespin" type clamps would be good to hold the surround in place while the stuff dries.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Repair of oil cloth surround on alnico woofer - Paul Eizik 08:17:12 03/20/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.