Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: McIntosh preamp question

2 x c-8 will work for stereo. But it would be better to get a C-8 and a C-8s, which had additional features to facilitate usage for stereo. This is your least costly option. If you have a collection of pre RIAA recordings, the C-8 series has the proper phono eq circuitry for correct reproduction.

C-11 is ok and reletively cheap. Most prefer sound of C-20/22 (real dif is cosmetics). Marantz 7c has better phono stage. Fisher 400cx said to sound 98% as good as C-2 or 7c @ less than 1/2 price. For a bit more than a good 400cx, you can have a pair of Fisher 80 Mono preamps. These are reputed to be among the best sounding of all vintage preamps.

I would have no qualms whatsoever about useing a non Mac pre with a pair of MC-30. I am currently using a Conrad Johsnon PV-5 with mine.

Don't forget that alot of the opinions expressed by experts are in part based upon "collectability" rather than sound. Also important to realize that if you are listening to completely stock equipment, with original 40-50yr old parts, you are not hearing the equipment at its best. Signal path components fail over time and degrade the signal while doing so.

Best,

Ross

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.