Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Heathkit AA150

AA-151 ? A great amp that may have been let down by the preamp. The Amp section is essentially a stereo version of the UA-1/2. (A stereo basic amp was sold AA-111....GREAT AMP).

I have owned several AA-151 and the earlier SA-2 integrateds over the years. And while they sound ok, I have always felt that the preamp was the weak link and give the sound an opague/veiled quality.

That said, I had a brief conversation with Peter Brueniger at the recent Axpona show. I noted in his TAS online bio that he used the AA151 so I asked him about it. He raved about the amp, but with the provision that it should be fully rebuilt before listening and preferably by Sam Kim in Toronto.

There you have it- 2 separate opinions of the same unit.

Personally, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The units I owned were serviced to replace worn parts, but were not fully and carefully rebuilt. Maybe a rebuild with new higher quality parts would be enough to improve the preamp section ?

In any event the amp is inexpensive and easy to work on.

Best,

Ross

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.