Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Random thoughts....

Hi!

A quick check in the Vinyl Asylum (my other hangout here) shows that the PL 112 is a belt drive unit. Since belts have to be replaced, removing the platter is generally dirt simple. Here's the procedure I would follow:

1. Remove the record mat from the table. It should just lift off, unless the rubber has deteriorated and stuck to the platter, in which case it will have to be carefully peeled off.

2. You should see 2 or more holes/ports in the platter. These are there to both allow access to the belt and to allow you to lift the platter off. Slowly rotate the platter clockwise until you can see where the belt goes over the motor pulley. Using a small screwdriver, lift the belt off the pulley, trying not to stretch it unduly.

3. Examine the area around the spindle. On many tables, the platter just sits in place, but in others (Dual and Garrard come to mind) a c-clip or other device is used to lock the platter in place. If you see such a device, remove it as gently as possible.

4. Place your fingers in the platter's holes, try to lift it off. You may want to put your thumbs on the spindle and push down simultaneously, as platters tend to settle into place. With any luck at all, it will pop off. Inspect the underneath of the platter and the deck for any lablels, parts, etc. that may be floating around and causing noise.

5. Use a foam swab and a drop or 4 of alcohol to clean out any dried/congealed oil from around the spindle. Repeat until the swab comes out clean. Give it a shot of compressed air to evaporate any remaining alcohol. Put 1-3 drops of Radio Shack Teflon oil onto the bearing surface. You might also want to do the same thing to the motor shaft - if you can get at it.

6. Gently wash the belt with Dawn. Pat off excess water and let air dry. If the belt looks bad or was stretched out, skip this and go buy a replacement.

7. Place the platter back in place without the belt. Gently spin the platter and listen to see if the scraping noise is gone. If so, remove the platter, replace the belt, usually the belt will fit around an inner ridge of the platter, put the platter back, gently stretch the belt over the motor pulley.

8. Replace any retaining devices and the rubber mat, and you are done. I had a Technics SLBD 20 that tended to scrape if the platter settled too firmly (or of I pressed too hard on the Discwasher). So about once a week, I'd just lift it to free it up.

Good luck!
Chuck

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Random thoughts.... - PC Journalist 09:43:19 10/26/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.