Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

One solution, maybe.

Since the parts used in any particular older unit are not being manufactured today exactly as they were, and the original parts are surely out of spec by now, getting back to an "exact" stock sound is not exactly possible. However, you can make parts choices that can get you close if that's your specific obsession.

If you happen to be *that* interested in hearing what was intended by the designer here's an option: Purchase two units. Rebuild one as close to stock as you can and let it stand as your stock reference. The second unit can then be stuffed with boutique parts galore or circuit modded ad infinitum.

If nothing else, it takes the guess work out of whether or not you've made a definite improvement. More than that it keeps you in touch with what you have lost in the process of improving certain areas of the sound. You almost always lose something. I like going this route. It does require patience as you have to let parts burn in for quite a while. It's cool, and fun, to shootout both versions step by step. In the end it works for me. It's just one way to go.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.